Root Chakra - The Root of Security
Ready to learn a little bit about your root chakra? For a lot of people, this little, powerhouse of an energy center goes out of whack- a lot. For most of us it’s because some of our most basic needs aren’t met currently or haven’t been met in the past.
- Location: Base of Spine/Pelvic Floor
- Resides over: Body, Health, Money, Anxiety, Survival, Safety
- Essential Oils: Vetiver, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Sandalwood
- 💎: Blacks, Deep Reds
- My Favourite 💎 Smoky Quartz
The lesson of the root chakra is survival and the right to exist. Feelings of safety and our ability to stand up for ourselves originate here. It influences functions like courage and trust.
When out of alignment you might feel anxiety, fear, panic attacks and uncertainty.
So why do we need to start with the root? We're kind of like a house- sure you can build upon a shaky foundation- but don't be surprised when it all comes tumbling down. Without our root chakra solid and in alignment, any development will be without roots and lack the the stability necessary for true growth.
So your root chakra is wonky? We carry a lot here- so it's no surprise. Mine often is too! But it doesn't mean it has to stay that way....
Here's some of my favourite Root Chakra Self Care tips
🌳 Practice Earthing - Yup. There's no better way to ground then earth
- Go outside and find some grass, sand or mud
- Take off your shoes
- With your feet firmly planted with each step (roll through each part of your foot) think about red-brown roots spreading down your legs from your root chakra, through your feet and into the earth- keeping you secure and supported.
📝 Journal - We need to get to the root of the root (sorry- not punny I know). So start off with some of these:
- Put your insecurity in the middle of the page.
- Now do a web from that center point- where did it come from? When do you feel it most? Are people influencing factors? Can you remember a specific incident? What happened?
- Now switch pens and continue to web
- When have you pushed through this insecurity in the past? What made it so that you were able to overcome it? A person? A situation? What internal traits helped (courage, strength, saying F* it?). When do you feel most able to face this insecurity?
- Find your Mantra and write it at the bottom of your page in capitals.
- Either- keep this page or burn it
💎 Crystals - Use your root chakra stones.
- Work with them - find a quiet space (ideally your sacred space) and put your crystal in your hand. Close your eyes and contemplate its weight. Try to recreate the exact stone in your mind's eye. Flip it over. Bring it closer to you- in your mind's eye and in real life.
- Wear them - *ahem* do a quick search on my website for your stone
🛀🏻 Take a crystal bath with LOTS of Epsom Salt
- Throw in your crystal combo for the intention you're setting
- Put in a 1/2 cup to 1 1/2 cups epsom salts, OR one of Byonds natural bath bombs with essential oils. I'll be doing a future blog on why salts are so damn good for you- but until then just trust me
- As you're soaking think about letting those insecurities, worries and the heaviness leave your body and enter the water. I usually like to start at my crown and visualize pushing all that toxicity down my body and out my toes like toothpaste.
- If you want a 2 for 1 - put on one of the guided meditation listed below 👇🏻
- THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART - when you get out of the tub, take a couple seconds and say "I release........... it has been washed away. Let the universe take care of it from here."
📿 Meditate - I personally am not yet able to do completely silent meditations- so here's a few of my guided meditation favourites:
- Root Chakra (Guided) Grounding Meditation by Kimberly Honnell (15mins)
- Root Chakra (Guided & Silent) with Affirmations by Meditative Mind (30 mins) I LOVE his voice...
- Root Chakra Guided Meditation by Roaming Yogi
😻 Look in the mirror and use your affirmations (a 2 for 1 would be while holding your Byond jewelry)
- I love being in my body
- What I have is what I want
- I am calm, strong centered and peaceful
- I am able to let go of fear and trust that I am eternally safe
- I am worthy of all things beautiful
- If I created anything good in my life I will be able to create it again
🧘♀️ Always, always, do some yoga.
Illustration by Chloe Bulpin